Senior Counsel: ACLI
Wayne Mehlman is Senior Counsel at the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI), where his primary responsibilities relate to receivership and guaranty association issues, the Interstate Insurance Compact, and registered index–linked annuities (RILAs).
Mr. Mehlman is lead staff to ACLI’s Receivership Committee, Product Subgroups (Annuities, Life, Long-Term Care and Disability Income), and RILA Working Group. He works closely with ACLI members to develop and recommend policy on related issues, including those involving:
• State and federal legislation and regulations
• Model laws, regulations, and accreditation standards of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the National Council of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL)
• State guaranty association coverage and assessment issues
• Insurance business transfers (IBTs) and corporate divisions
• Uniform product standards of the Interstate Insurance Compact (IIPRC)
• Proposed standards and guidance of the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS) and the Financial Stability Board (FSB)
In doing so, Mr. Mehlman also coordinates with other ACLI committees, regulators, industry trade groups, and state guaranty associations, as well as NOLHGA and the Global Federation of Insurance Associations (GFIA).
Before joining ACLI in 2005, Mr. Mehlman worked at the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and in public accounting. He earned his J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law - Camden in 1987 and his B.A. from Rutgers College in 1984. He is also a Certified Public Accountant. He and his wife, Susanne, have two children and live in Rockville, Maryland.